Creamy Beet Pasta With Beet Green Pesto
I love beets in any form. Although I have made pasta out of beets before, I have never made a sauce, and turns out, it is extremely easy and extremely flavorful. All you have to do is roast the beets and blend them with a few things, and then you have a wonderful sauce that is as vibrant as it is delicious.
Whenever I buy beets, I always like to use all of the plant, including the leaves, so I decided to make a pesto with them to top the pasta off. The pairing was quite perfect, as the beets are a little naturally sweet, and the beet green pesto evens this out with its tangy flavor.
Not only is this pasta yummy, but it contains a bunch of nutrients that are especially helpful for boosting your immunity. Between the turmeric, garlic, and lemon, you'll be sure to be on your A-game this winter when it comes to your health and energy.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 2 cups cooked brown-rice fusilli
- Dried basil, to taste
- Ingredients for Beet Sauce
- 3 red beets, peeled
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Ingredients for Beet Green Pesto
- Beet greens (about 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel beets and slice into thin slices, crosswise. Place on a baking sheet and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Bake for 30 minutes or until beets are soft.
2. To make sauce, blend together beets, almond milk, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and turmeric. Toss with pasta.
3. To make pesto, blend beet greens, garlic, olive oil, walnuts, and lemon until smooth. Top pasta with pesto and sprinkle with a bit of dried basil.