Mushroom and Spinach Egg Cups
One of my all-time favorite meals is brunch, and while it's definitely fun to go out, sit outside, and eat brunch out at a restaurant, there is definitely something underrated about having your own brunch party at home. My roomie and I hosted one last week in honor of the summer solstice (yes-- I know I'm obsessed with summer), and I have to say, cooking for 25 people is it a lot harder than cooking for one! But all-in-all, it was definitely a success, and not nearly as difficult as I expected!
One of my favorite dishes from the day was this super simple Mushroom and Spinach Egg Cup. Honestly, anyone can make this. It requires very little prep work and is ready in just 20 minutes! It was a big hit! I used mushrooms, onions, spinach, and cheese, but you can really use any vegetables you want (and eliminate cheese if you're dairy intolerant!). We also made a version with potatoes, which were super delicious. Feel free to experiment with your own favorite veggies, and please let me know what combos came out delicious!
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 8 eggs
- 4 cups of fresh spinach
- 6 large white mushrooms, chopped
- 1-2 large white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Cooking spray, with flour
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray, fully coating sides and bottom.
2. Heat some olive oil in a large pan. Cook onions, mushrooms, and spinach for about 5 minutes or until spinach is wilted and onions are translucent.
3. Whisk your eggs in a large bowl. When vegetables are completed, add to egg mixture.
4. Pour into muffin tin, filling almost to the top (they will rise). Sprinkle a little bit of cheddar cheese on each, and top with a pretty mushroom.
5. Cook for about 20-25 minutes until eggs are completely cooked.