Lemony Egg Salad Toast with Arugula and Heirloom Tomatoes
Although I love making resolutions all throughout the year, and I firmly believe that everyone should do the same, there is something refreshing and renewing about the start of the year. This weekend when I realized I needed groceries, I got them from my local farmer's market instead of the grocery store, and boy oh boy have I forgotten how good fresh tomatoes taste.
As part of my resolutions, I vow to start buying more fresh, farmers market foods, experimenting with new ingredients, and posting much more frequently, especially now that my crazy schedule has evened out. I have really good feelings about this year, especially since I am SO SO close to being able to announce the big news that I have been dying to share.
We are supposed to get a nice bout of rain here in LA this week, but despite the gloominess, I made a brunch this morning fit for a warm summer day. This toast is filled with protein and nutrients from the arugula and tomatoes, and it is so light and refreshing, I could eat it at any meal.
- 3 pieces of mini gluten-free or whole grain toasts
- 2 cage-free eggs
- 1 tablespoon Vegenaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 4-5 heirloom cherry tomatoes
1. Lightly toast bread and set aside.
2. Add eggs to a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat. Let eggs sit in the water for 6-8 minutes. Cool with running cold water when finished.
3. Peel eggs and add to a small bowl. Mash with a fork, and mix in Vegenaise and lemon juice. Evenly spread on toasts.
4. Top toasts with arugula. Slice cherry tomatoes in half, and add to toast. Serve immediately.