This is my first time ever making a successful gnocchi, and I am so, so excited about it! Guys — it's so easy! Seriously, anyone can do it. I'm so excited that this one was a success, and the best part is, it's made with pumpkin!
This gnocchi can be topped with the sage butter sauce that I included below, but you can also just use olive oil and parmesan cheese, pesto, or any other sauce your heart desires!
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
Ingredients for Gnocchi:
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (plus about 1/2 cup extra to flour your surface for rolling)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Ingredients for Sage Butter Sauce:
- 4 clove garlic
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 4 tablespoons ghee butter
1. In a large bowl, combined pumpkin puree, whole wheat flour, almond flour, egg, salt, and pepper, until a sticky dough forms.
2. Lightly flour a flat surface. Using the dough, create 2-inch balls with your hands and roll into a long, thin line, about 1/2 inch thick. If your dough is too sticky, add more flour to the surface. Cut the line of dough into 1 inch gnocchi pieces. Repeat until you've used all the dough. To create the signature gnocchi look, use a fork to lightly press lines into the top of your gnocchi pillows.
3. Bring a large pot to a boil. Add gnocchi and cook until they rise to the surface (about 5 minutes). If your pot is too small, add in batches if needed. When gnocchi is finished, drain in a colander.
4. To make make sage butter sauce, chop up garlic and sage. Add butter to a small sauce pan, and warm up on medium-low heat. Add garlic and sage and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring to prevent the garlic from burning.
5. When sauce is finished, pour over gnocchi and toss, if desired. Serve warm.