I've been hearing about cauliflower rice for years now, but for some unknown reason, I never got around to making it myself. I was shopping at Trader Joes last week, and I noticed they sell a package of their own!
I decided to give it a try, and I have to say, for all you foodies who like their health food to be convenient, this is the rice for you. It has lasted me almost a week in the fridge now, it only takes a few minutes to heat up, it tastes bomb, AND, the best part is, it contains JUST cauliflower, making it an extremely healthy option.
You can prepare this cauliflower rice just as you would any rice dish, so I decided to make a spicy fried rice with tofu, egg, and the works. This ended up being a huge portion that I split for lunch and dinner!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 small white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped organic GMO-free tofu
- 1 jumbo carrot, finely chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 cage-free egg
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- Sriracha, to taste
1. Heat up 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add onion and carrots, and cook for 3-4 minutes or until onions become translucent and carrots have softened.
2. Add green onion pieces and cauliflower rice, and stir around. Add more sesame oil if your mixture is dry. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until cauliflower rice and green onion have softened.
3. With the heat still on, crack an egg into the pan and mix around with a spatula. Egg should be piecey and textured, and evenly distributed throughout the rice.
4. Lower heat to low, and add in soy sauce and sriracha to taste (a squirt or two to start). Mix around to evenly coat rice, and serve warm.