Savory Spiralized Potato Waffles With Avocado Smash And Egg
Don't forget to order my Spiralizer Recipe Book for 150 more spiralized recipes!
I just recently got a waffle maker when I was creating my cookbook, and since I wrote the book, I haven't touched it! Such a shame, if I do say so myself! So today I decided to do a variation of my spiralized sweet potato waffle recipe in my book and make a savory version using regular potatoes. This is the ultimate brunch food! It was fast, filling, and the best part, healthy!
Ingredients (serves 1-2; makes 2 waffles)
- 1 large Russet potato
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cage-free eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 large avocado
- Black pepper, to taste
- Non-stick cooking spray
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat your waffle iron. Cut off both ends of potato, and slice in half crosswise. Spiralize using a small noodle blade.
2. Heat up olive oil in a large pan on medium-low heat. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add potatoes and cover, cooking for 7-8 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, mix together cooked spiralized potatoes, 1 egg, and the parsley. Spray your waffle maker with some non-stick cooking spray, and spoon potato mixture into the waffle maker, and cook for about 5 minutes on medium heat. Edges should be crisp and the inside fully cooked.
4. While waffles are cooking, scoop your avocado into a bowl and smash with a fork. Then make your fried egg. Add a splash of olive oil to your pan and turn up the heat to medium-low. Add an egg and cook for a few minutes until whites are cooked, edges are crispy but yolk is still runny.
5. When waffles are ready remove from the iron with a fork or a spatula. Add to a plate, and spread avocado smash on each waffle. Top with the fried egg and black pepper to taste. Optional: squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon onto your waffle and eggs. Serve warm.