I love using chickpeas as my source of protein, but I'm so used to adding them to salads or bowls that I forget they can be mashed up to be used as filling for sandwiches. This is a vegan-friendly sandwich that is flavorful, filling, and takes only 10 minutes to make!
Ingredients (serves 2/makes 2 sandwiches)
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ripe avocado
- Handful cilantro, chopped
- Dash of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 1/4 cup arugula
1. In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas and avocado. Mash with a fork until chunky. Add in cilantro, salt, pepper, olive oil, and lemon juice, and mix thoroughly.
2. Spread chickpea mixture onto a slice of bread. Top with arugula, and cover with remaining piece of bread. Serve immediately or refrigerate.