Dessert doesn't have to be filled with unhealthy flours and loaded with refined sugar. Instead, you can use substitutes to make a delicious but more natural dessert. This crumble is vegan and gluten-free and uses seasonal summer fruits for its sweet flavor.
Ingredients (serves 4-6)
- 4 cups chopped strawberries
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon Grade B maple syrup
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (if you don't have coconut sugar, you can use maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 6 1/2 figs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Chop up strawberries and put them in a medium bowl. Add coconut flour, vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, and syrup, and mix well. Spoon mixture into an 8 inch baking pan.
3. Combine coconut flour, oats, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and maple syrup in a bowl. Mix until crumbly. Spoon over strawberry mixture.
4. Slice figs in half, and place on top of crumble. Bake for 25-30 minutes until top is crispy and strawberries are bubbling. Let cool for about 15 minutes, then serve.