Jackfruit "Carnitas" Tacos
Guys! You can make vegan tacos that taste just like pulled pork using jackfruit. I know, it's crazy right. I didn't even know what a jackfruit was until recently (it's a fruit native to South India), but they know sell it at Trader Joe's so you can make some vegan pork of your own!
Ingredients (makes 4-6 tacos)
- 4-6 corn tortillas (taco size)
For Jackfruit Carnitas:
- 1 (15 ounce) can jackfruit (in brine or water)
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup water
- Finely chopped red onion
- Avocado slices
- Cherry tomatoes
1. Rinse and drain jackfruit. Heat up BBQ sauce in a large pan on medium heat. Add in spices and mix together. Mix in jackfruit and water, and bring to a simmer. Cover, and cook for about 25-35 minutes on medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Add water as needed (you don't want the sauce to become too thick and stick to the pan).
2. When the jackfruit has softened in the sauce, remove from heat, and transfer jackfruit to a large bowl. Use two forks to shred the jackfruit.
3. In a separate large pan, heat up a little oil or butter, and heat the tortillas on each side for a minute or so. Top the tortillas with the jackfruit, and then add your toppings.