Roasted Carrots, Fennel, Red Onion & Chickpeas with Sunflower Seed Pesto & Egg
Sometimes cooking is something I do during the day out of convenience and health. But then I remember how therapeutic it can be, how relaxing it is, and how coming up with something new and creative is a form of artistic expression for me. It's easy to forget that, especially when trying to constantly come up with new recipes as part of my blog or a career.
This bowl came as a result of me rediscovering that passion. This dish takes some effort, but to me, all the flavors and textures that blend together make it worth it. And of course, as always, you can always modify to make things easier and take out things to make it more your taste.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 3 small/medium carrots, sliced
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced
- 1 bulb fennel, sliced
- 1/4 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- A drizzle of avocado oil, for roasting
- 1 teaspoon ghee butter
- 1 cup roughly chopped kale
- 1-2 pasture-raised eggs
Ingredients for Sunflower Seed Pesto
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/2 cup arugula
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread carrots, red onion, fennel, and chickpeas evenly on baking sheet (or two, if you need more room, but you don't want anything to touch so they get crispy). Drizzle with avocado oil or other high heat oil, and bake for about 25 minutes until everything starts to get crispy.
2. While vegetables are cooking, add eggs to a pot with water. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and let eggs sit in hot water for 6 minutes. Remove from water, and add to a bowl of ice water to cool. This will get your eggs soft-boiled.
3. In a medium pan, add ghee butter on medium-low heat. Add kale, and sauté for 3-4 minutes until kale is wilted. Transfer to a bowl. Top with veggies and chickpeas when they're finished roasting.
4. Prepare the pesto by blending ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth. Remove the shell from the eggs and cut in half. Add eggs to the bowl along with pesto. Serve warm.