One of my New Year's resolutions was to stop using canned beans and start making dried beans instead. Not only are canned beans filled with salt (and obviously not as fresh), they often contain BPA because of how the cans are lined. BPA is a chemical that acts as an endocrine disruptor, which messes with your hormones. And who wants that?! I finally pulled the trigger and ditched the canned beans thanks to my friend Aza, who gave me a few bags of her favorite heirloom beans from Rancho Gordo.
Oh my god were they amazing. I'm never going back to canned beans again. I just soaked the black beans overnight and cooked them with some garlic, cumin, and bay leaves, and they were so flavorful and tender and not at all hard to make.
The first item on the menu using these beans: Deconstructed Breakfast Burritos.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- 2 pasture-raised eggs,
- 1/2 cup cooked black beans
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 stalk green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon cotija cheese
- Lime, to taste
1. In a medium pan, heat up olive oil on medium-low heat. Add spinach, and sauté for about 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Leave the heat on the pan, but transfer spinach to a bowl.
2. In a small bowl, whip the eggs with a fork to make scrambled eggs. Add them to the pan, letting them sit for 30 seconds, and then use a spatula to scramble them for a minute or two until they are just about soft. Transfer them to the same bowl with the spinach.
3. Add black beans and avocado to the bowl as well. Top with green onion and a sprinkle of cotija cheese and a squeeze of lime to taste.
I love this dish with hot sauce, so I highly reccomend a little drizzle of habanero!