Kale Salad with Lemon Miso Dressing
I've been working on book #2, so most of my energy has been going into creating those recipes (can't wait to share what it is!!). I've been trying to use up all my ingredients I have in the fridge, and this has resulted in some interesting combinations. I was craving a kale salad yesterday, and I wanted to use my leftover miso in a dressing. I also had some leftover feta cheese I wanted to finish as well.
Typically, I think of miso used in Asian cuisine, and feta cheese is clearly Mediterranean. But I thought why not give it a try. Turns out, it tastes totally normal to eat together! I also got a little weirder and threw in some pistachios after I saw a pistachio miso salad online. The ingredients in this salad might sound weird, but I promise you, it tastes really good. Just like a refreshing light kale salad should taste :)
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 pasture-raised egg
- 3 cups kale leaves (massaged in olive oil and salt)
- 2 tablespoons pistachio meats
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Lemon Miso Dressing
- 1/2 teaspoon red miso paste
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon honey
1. First, soft-boil the egg. Add egg to a small pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil, and then turn off the heat. Let the egg sit in the hot water for 5 minutes, then remove and place into a bowl of cold water to cool (with the shell still on).
2. Add kale leaves to a bowl (massage with a dash of salt and olive oil). Add pistachios and feta cheese.
3. Make the miso dressing by combining ingredients together in a small bowl and mixing until smooth. Toss the kale, pistachios, and feta in the dressing.
4. Remove the shell from the egg, and cut in half. Add to the salad along with the avocado. Top with sesame seeds.