Zoodle Carbonara with Mint Almond Pesto
If you follow me on Instagram, you likely saw the big announcement I made this week: My second cookbook is coming out in December!! If you weren't able to check out my first cookbook (The Spiralizer Recipe Book), you'll definitely want to check out this one, called Plant-Protein Recipes That You'll Love! I think it will appeal to all people, including existing vegetarians and vegans as well as carnivores who are really looking to cut down on their meat consumption without losing any nutrients or taste. Can't wait for you guys to see! Preorder is available until the book's release December 5th.
But now back to spiralizing! This recipe is a play on spaghetti carbonara, but it uses zucchini instead. It's also tossed in a mint almond pesto — make a bigger batch for later. You won't regret it.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 medium/large zucchini
- 1 teaspoon ghee butter
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 pasture-raised egg
Pesto Ingredients (1 serving)
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves
- Dash of sea salt
1. Prepare pesto first by blending ingredients together until smooth. It is a small amount, so if you are having a hard time blending, double or triple the amount and save the rest in a jar for other meals.
2. Cut off both ends of the zucchini, and slice in half crosswise. Spiralize using a small noodle blade. Pat noodles dry with a paper towel to remove excess moisture.
3. In a large pan, heat up ghee butter on medium-low heat. Add lemon juice and zucchini noodles. Cook for a minute or so until noodles just begin to soften. Add the pesto (1 serving), and toss the noodles in the pesto. Then crack the egg directly into the noodles, tossing around for a minute or two until the egg is cooked. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl. Serve warm, and top with an extra dollop of pesto, if desired.