Chickpea Pasta with Kale Almond Pesto & Vegan Ricotta
Hey guys! If you want to join my 7-Day Clean Eating Challenge that starts tomorrow, click here! I am so excited to try this out with you guys.
I am a big fan of making my own pesto for a number of reasons. First, I like to curate my own ingredients, which usually means I take out the cheese, use high quality olive oil, and load up on greens. Second, using pesto is a great way to add in some protein in the form of nuts. Third, it's much healthier for you than cream-based sauces!
I used Banza chickpea shells for this pasta, but you can use any pasta of your choice. I like chickpea pasta because you get fiber and protein, and it's not refined! Plus, it's gluten-free!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 3/4 cup dry Banza chickpea shells
- 2 tablespoons vegan ricotta (I used Kite Hill)
- 1 cup kale leaves
- 5 medium leaves basil
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 medium garlic clove
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon filtered water
- Dash of salt
1. Prepare pasta according to package. While pasta is cooking, prepare pesto by blending ingredients together until smooth.
2. When pasta is finished, drain, and add back to the pot. On low heat, mix in pesto to warm. Coat the pasta evenly. Transfer to a bowl, and top with ricotta cheese. Serve warm.