Lightened Up Mac & Cheese
You guys asked for it, so here it is: A health(ier) version of macaroni and cheese! For this dish, I used Greek yogurt for creaminess, which also adds some additional protein to this bowl. This can be served as a side for about 4, but if you're a big hungry eater, I would say it serves 2-3. Seriously, this stuff is good, and I will definitely be making this on repeat.
Ingredients (serves 2-4)
- 8 ounces Banza pasta shells
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2-3 tablespoons almond flour
- Optional: Finely chopped chives for topping
1. Prepare pasta according to package. Drain, and set aside.
2. While pasta is cooking, mix together Greek yogurt, salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic together in a small bowl until smooth.
3. Once pasta is done, turn the pot back to medium-low heat, and add in almond milk and cheddar cheese. Mix until cheese is melted and mixture is smooth.
3. Add in Greek yogurt mixture and 2 tablespoons almond flour, and mix for 1-2 minutes on medium-low heat until everything is combined and mixture begins to thicken. If your "cheese" mixture is really runny, add in the 3rd tablespoon of almond flour, although keep in mind that the sauce will thicken up as it cools.
4. After a couple minutes of warming the sauce and allowing it thicken, mix in the pasta. Serve warm, and top with chives, if desired.