Breakfast burritos are the little darlings of breakfast. They're amazing when you're starving or hungover, and you don't feel too bad about eating them because they're not as unhealthy as something like bacon. But what if I told you could make an even healthier breakfast burrito that is just as nourishing to your soul?
Why I have never made a breakfast burrito bowl before is bewildering, but now that I've created them, I don't think I'm ever going back. These bowls contain all the classic ingredients of a breakfast burrito, but they're served in a bowl rather than a tortilla, making them instantly healthier. Plus, the potatoes are spiralized and cooked in a pan, so you don't have to worry about frying or drenching them in oil and butter.
Ingredients (makes 2 bowls)
- 1/2 large onion
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 russet potato
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cage-free eggs
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onion
- Hot sauce, to taste
1. Chop up onions, bell peppers, and garlic. Set aside.
2. Cut potato crosswise, and slice off both ends. Spiralize using a small noodle blade. In a bowl, toss noodles with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper.
3. Heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan on medium heat. Add potatoes and cover, cooking for about 10 minutes or until potatoes are almost soft.
4. In a separate large pan, heat up 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add onions, peppers, and garlic, cooking for about 7 minutes or until onions are translucent.
5. While vegetables are cooking, prepare eggs. Crack eggs in a medium bowl and whisk together until froth. Heat up 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a small pan on medium-low heat. Add eggs and let sit for about 30 seconds. Once the eggs have cooked a little, drag the spatula across the pan, moving the eggs around to scramble them. Repeat until eggs are fully scrambled, about 3 minutes.
6. Add eggs to 2 bowls and top with onion mixture, potato, black beans, avocado, and hot sauce. Top with hot sauce as desired.