You know I love myself a good kale salad, and what better than one that is loaded with antioxidants and nutrients? Colorful dishes not only mean more fun, but more vitamins and minerals to get you through the day. This easy salad just uses a simple lemon apple cider vinaigrette, and it's a good option to bring to work or school, as kale doesn't tend to get very soggy.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 3 carrots (I used 1 yellow, 1 orange, and 1 purple)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups purple kale leaves
- 1/4 cup heirloom tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 small avocado, chopped
- 1/2 cup white beans, rinsed and drained
- Cracked black pepper, to taste
- Optional: Salt and extra-virgin olive oil to massage kale
- Ingredients for Lemon Apple Cider Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice carrots in half lengthwise. Place on an aluminum-foil lined baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil and thyme, and bake for 15-20 minutes until carrots begin to soften.
2. In a large bowl, add kale leaves. You have the option to soften the leaves by massaging the kale with a splash of olive oil and a dash of salt.
3. Add tomatoes, avocado, and white beans to bowl. Top with carrots when they are finished baking.
4. To make dressing, combine olive oil, vinegar, and lemon juice in a small bowl. Whip slightly with a fork. Pour over kale salad bowl and toss until evenly coated.