Avocado toast sounds so simple, but there's never an end to the combinations you can make. This version is inspired by an Italian caprese salad, and it makes a great light breakfast or afternoon snack.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 slice of whole grain bread
- 1 pasture-raised egg
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 basil leaves
- 2-3 cherry tomatoes, halved
- Dash of salt, black pepper, and dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1. Toast your piece of bread.
2. Add egg to a small pot and add water so the egg is covered. Bring to a boil, and then remove from heat. Let eggs sit for 4-5 minutes, and then let eggs cool in a bowl of cold water. Peel off shell, and cut egg in half.
3. Add avocado to a small bowl and smash with a fork. Mix with teaspoon of lemon juice. Spread avocado on your piece of toast.
4. Top toast with basil leaves, soft-boiled egg, and cherry tomatoes. Add a dash of salt, pepper, and oregano. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and enjoy!