Butternut Squash Quinoa Bowl With Roasted Chickpeas, Pomegranate Seeds, and Harissa
My recently culinary obsession has been with harissa, a spicy tomato paste that works great as a hot sauce and is loaded with healthy and flavorful spices. This recipe goes along with its North African influence, and includes a bowl of squash, roasted chickpeas, quinoa, and pomegranate seeds, making it a sweet and savory dish that is loaded with fiber, and will keep you full and satisfied throughout the day.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1-2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1/2 can chickpeas
- 1 cup cubed butternut squash
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pomegranate seeds
- Ingredients For Harissa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread chickpeas, cubed squash, chopped onion, and halved cherry tomatoes on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil over everything, and sprinkle with oregano and cumin. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy and butternut squash is soft.
2. While everything is roasting, make harissa by combining tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, cumin, paprika, caraway, lemon juice, and olive oil until a smooth, runny paste forms. Make sure your garlic is finely chopped so it mixes in evenly.
3. Place quinoa in a bowl, and top with chickpeas, squash, onion, and tomatoes when ready. Drizzle harissa over bowl and top with pomegranate seeds.