Coconut Quinoa "Fried Rice" with Pineapple
One of my favorite foods is quinoa, and for good reason. Not only is it an excellent source of fiber, but it is a complete protein, making it a great base for any meal (yes, I'm even talking breakfast). If you don't eat it the right way (meaning plain), quinoa can taste bland and bitter, but it's so versatile, there's no excuse for not making it taste good. Honestly. Even just throwing on some hot sot sauce can do the trick.
Cue the quinoa fried rice. If you're not a quinoa lover, this might make you change your mind.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 large pineapple slices, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- A handful of cilantro
- 2 eggs
1. Heat coconut oil in the pan on medium heat. Saute chopped onion, garlic, and pineapple until onions are translucent and slightly browned on the outside (think of a grilled effect).
2. Once your vegetables are cooked, mix in quinoa and shredded coconut. If you are adding egg, keep the heat on (maybe even turn it up a little), and crack the two eggs into the pan. Let sit for about a minute or two, and then use a spatula to mix in to the quinoa. To get the fried rice effect, you want the egg to be somewhat chunky in your dish.
3. Turn off your heat and mix in cilantro. Top with sriracha if desired.