Roasted Carrot Quinoa Salad with Baby Kale and White Beans
It finally feels like summer in Southern California! I know that sounds crazy, because isn't it ALWAYS summer in Los Angeles, but we have had an extended case of June gloom, and it looks like the sun has finally broken through for good.
I don't know about you, but warm weather really does wonders for my eating. I crave light and fresh foods like salads and fruit, and with so much produce in season, it's fun to play with various combinations.
This salad is vegan and gluten-free, and you know that it's going to be full of nutrients when there's so much color. I like to prepare a cup of quinoa on Monday's to use it for different dishes throughout the week. If you have quinoa on hand, the prep time for this salad is really low.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup baby kale
- 1 large carrot
- 1/8 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup white beans
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Fresh chopped parsley (a small handful)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Slice your carrot in half lengthwise, and cut diagonally, going up the carrot so they're in bite-size pieces.
2. Place carrots on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Season with a dash of cumin, oregano, and thyme. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.
3. When carrots are done, combine all ingredients in a bowl. Squeeze lemon over salad and add olive oil. Toss until even. Add salt and pepper to your liking.