I know I talk about summer salads a lot, but I think I may have crafted the ultimate one. I got the idea for this salad from a few citrus jalapeno margaritas I’ve had in the past. I definitely love combining sweet citrus flavors with a spicy kick, so I figured, why not translate this to a salad?
Voila! I created this extremely easy jalapeno vinaigrette that came out better than I could have expected. Spicy food is not only delicious, but it helps kick your metabolism into full gear. And don’t worry if you don’t have a high spice tolerance—the dressing isn’t as spicy as it seems!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 3 large kale leaves, or about 2 cups already chopped pre-packaged kale
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1/2 an orange
- 1/4 cup cooked lentils
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3/4 medium-sized jalapeno
- Large handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1. To make salad: Finely chop kale and mix in a large bowl with chopped cherry tomatoes, onion, orange, and cooked lentils.
2. To make dressing, blend lime juice, jalapeno, cilantro, olive oil, and vinegar until smooth. Toss with rest of ingredients.