Vegan Strawberry Crumble
It's berry season! The Brentwood Farmers Market has 3 baskets of strawberries for 5 dollars, so of course I have been buying them weekly and coming up with fun treats to make like cookies with jam. This week was strawberry crumble.
This decadent dessert is made only with all natural sugars and is vegan. It can be made paleo and gluten free if you take out the oats, which is totally an option. I just like them in there for extra crunch and texture. The crumble is a great option for a healthy dessert, and I've eaten one for breakfast! It's just like having oatmeal, right?
- For filling:
- 4 cups chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoon almond flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 small lemon
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon Grade B maple syrup OR coconut sugar
- For crumble:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar (if you don't have coconut sugar, you can use maple syrup)
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Chop your strawberries and throw them in a medium bowl. Add vanilla, lemon zest, lemon juice, flour, and syrup/sugar and mix well. Place into little ramekins or an 8 inch baking pan.
3. Combine almond flour, oats, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and maple syrup in a bowl. Mix until crumbly. Spoon over strawberry mixture.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is crispy and strawberries are bubbling. Let cool for about 15 minutes.