Kale Pesto Quinoa with Asparagus, Avocado, and Green Onion
Is it just me, or are dishes that are green seemingly lighter, fresher, and more satisfying than your run-of-the-mill boring monochrome dish? I can't help but to feel not only aesthetically pleased by the beauty of a green culinary palette, but encouraged that I'm consuming a generous amounts of vitamins and nutrients needed throughout the day. This dish contains protein, fiber, and healthy fat, but boy are its flavors satisfying. Feel free to use the pesto on any other dish and experiment with whatever other green ingredients suit your fancy.
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 8 small asparagus stalks (I used the Trader Joes frozen ones)
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 sprig green onion
- For pesto:
- 3-4 fresh kale leaves
- 1-2 cloves of garlic (1 large or 2 small)
- The juice of 2 small lemons
- 1 tablespoon walnuts
- Olive Oil
1. In a small pan, cook asparagus over medium heat with some olive oil until thoroughly cooked. Remove from pan.
2. Blend pesto ingredients together until smooth. Slice avocado lengthwise and finely chop green onions.
2. Add cooked quinoa to the pan on low heat. Mix in pesto until quinoa is thoroughly coated.
3. Remove from heat. Add asparagus, avocado, and green onions, and drizzle with olive oil and a little bit of salt, if you would like.
If you want added protein, I would suggest mixing this dish with white beans or an egg.