"Creamy" Balsamic Kale Salad With Roasted Spiced Chickpeas
Mondays are an often dreaded day, but they can also be a time for new beginnings. After a weekend likely filled with a few indulgences, it's nice to press restart and start the week off with some healthy food. I often find myself eating a fresh salad Monday afternoons, and it helps me kick off my focus for the week.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 5 stalks of fresh kale
- 10 heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 avocado, chopped
- 2 stalks green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Olive Oil
- Cayenne Pepper
- Black pepper
- Ingredients for Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread chickpeas on an aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and drizzle with a little bit of olive oil. Top with a sprinkle of paprika, cayenne pepper, and black pepper, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until chickpeas are crispy.
2. Break kale leaves into smaller pieces and place into a large bowl. Drizzle with a little bit of olive oil and a dash of salt, and massage leaves with your hands to break down the fibers and make your kale softer.
3. Mix together Dijon mustard, Greek yogurt, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar until smooth. Pour over kale leaves and toss until even.
4. Top salad with chickpeas, tomatoes, avocado, green onion, alfalfa sprouts, and chia seeds.