Rainbow Buddha Bowl With Lemon Basil Dressing
Healthy, balanced meals don't have to take a lot of time. You can simply plop a bunch of stuff on a plate and enjoy it all together. Although this bowl contains multiple ingredients, it took me less than 30 minutes to prepare, and you can experiment with your own combination of vegetables, legumes, grains, etc. to come up with a balanced Buddha Bowl of your own.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 medium red beet
- 1/2 cup chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cups kale leaves
- 1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
- Chia seeds, to taste
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Peel beet and cut into 1/2 inch slices crosswise. Spread on an aluminum-foil lined baking sheet along with chickpeas. Drizzle olive oil over beets and chickpeas and top with a sprinkle of black pepper to taste. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until beets are soft and chickpeas are crispy.
2. In a small pan, heat up coconut oil on medium-low heat. Add kale leaves, and sauté for about 2 minutes until leaves are soft.
3. Add kale to bowl, alongside finished beets and roasted chickpeas. Add chopped cherry tomatoes. Remove the skin of the avocado and cut into slices. Add half to bowl, along with hemp seeds. Top bowl with chia seeds, as desired (I used just a sprinkle).
4. To make dressing, blend together basil, lemon, olive oil, and vinegar. Pour over bowl, and enjoy.