It's clear that avocado toast is having a moment right now, and I am definitely not complaining. It's a simple to prepare breakfast (or lunch!) that can be switched up in so many different ways that it's hard to get old.
This avocado toast is made with avocado smash and basil and topped with roasted tomatoes. What I love about this combo is that the healthy fat in the avocado helps to increase absorption of the antioxidant lycopene found in tomatoes. Plus, cooking the tomato boosts this even more, so you can rest assured you're properly getting all your nutrients from this toast.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 piece of Ezekiel sprouted grain toast
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 avocado
- 2-3 leaves of basil, finely chopped
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread cherry tomatoes on an aluminum-foil lined baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or so until tomatoes become soft.
2. While tomatoes are roasting, toast bread until crispy.
3. Scoop out of avocado and place it into a small bowl. Add chopped basil and lemon juice, and mash together with a fork. Spread onto toast.
4. When tomatoes are finished, top toast with tomatoes. Enjoy immediately.