This dish might seem more complicated than it actually is, but baking the beets and chickpeas at the same time frees up your time to quickly whip up the harissa and garlic sauce. This green harissa isn't technically a harissa, but it's inspired by the sauce. If you're afraid of heat, don't worry: It's actually mild.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 10 mini golden beets
- 1 tablespoon oil for roasting
Ingredients for Chickpeas
- 2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Dash of salt and pepper
Ingredients for Green Harissa
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup arugula
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup basil
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
Ingredients for Garlic Yogurt Sauce
- 1 teaspoon ghee butter
- 2 small cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Spread a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Cut off ends of beets and peel off the skin. Cut in half crosswise, and place on a baking sheet, leaving room on one side for the chickpeas. Drizzle with roasting oil.
2. In a medium bowl, combine chickpeas with olive oil, garlic powder, parsley, cumin, oregano, and salt and pepper. Toss until evenly coated. Spread evenly on the other side of the baking sheet, and bake beets and chickpeas for about 20 minutes or until beets become soft and chickpeas become crispy. If you are using beets, cut them into smaller pieces so they cook better.
3. While beets and chickpeas are roasting, prepare harissa by blending together all ingredients until smooth.
4. To make garlic yogurt sauce, heat up a small pan on medium-low heat. Once the pan has heated up after a minute or two, lower it to low. Add ghee butter and garlic, stirring and cooking for 30 seconds to a minute. Remove from heat and add Greek yogurt, mixing everything evenly.
5. When beets and chickpeas are ready, add to a plate and drizzle with harissa and yogurt sauce.