Rainbow Chickpea Hash with Kale and Avocado
When your food is as colorful as the rainbow, you know it's filled with many nutrients. This hash is quick, loaded with vitamins, and filled with protein. You can make it for lunch and enjoy leftovers topped with a fried egg.
A quick note on the sweet potato: I just chop mine up, put it in a bowl, and microwave for 3-5 minutes to cook. This helps save me time while I chop the other ingredients, but if you don't have a microwave or prefer to use an oven, you can bake your sweet potato as well. I would suggest drizzling them with olive oil and baking at 425 for around 20 minutes.
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
- 1 small/medium sweet potato, chopped and cooked*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or ghee butter
- 4-5 mini sweet peppers
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup chickpeas
- 1 cup roughly chopped kale leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
*I cooked the sweet potato in the microwave to save time, but you can also roast in the oven if you prefer. See note above ingredients for more instructions.
1. Prepare sweet potato, either in the microwave or in the oven.
2. Heat up olive oil or ghee butter in a large pan on medium-low heat. Add peppers, onions, chickpeas, and kale along with paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper, and mix around in the pan so it's all coated with the oil or butter. Sauté for 3-5 minutes until onions and pepper have softened and kale has wilted.
3. Remove from heat and top with avocado. Serve warm.