I love summer, not just because of the abundant sunshine, but because there is so much good produce! I've been in the habit of preparing a bunch of fresh vegetables during the week and keeping them on hand to throw into salads and bowls. It makes cooking so effortless, and I feel so healthy. This salad is vegetarian and gluten-free, and it can be made vegan by cooking the zucchini in olive oil instead of ghee butter. It's loaded with all of the veggies so you can feel light and refreshed this summer.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 2 cups arugula
- 2 baby gold potatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ghee butter (substitute olive oil if vegan)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced and quartered
- 2 medium red radishes, sliced
- 1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons ricotta cheese (I used Kite Hill almond milk ricotta so it's dairy free!)
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, add in the arugula.
2. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, add in potatoes and microwave for 2-4 minutes until potatoes have softened.
3. While potatoes are softened, prepare the zucchini. Add ghee butter to a medium pan on medium-low heat, and add in zucchini and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes until zucchini has softened. Remove from heat and let cool for a minute or two.
4. Add zucchini to the bowl with arugula, along with cooked potatoes, radishes, tomatoes, and ricotta. Top with avocado, and toss in olive oil and vinegar. Top with salt and pepper to taste.