Lentil Penne Marinara with Vegan Mozzarella and Kale
Part of eating clean means moving away from packaged goods towards whole ingredients. Recently I have been making my own tomato sauce, and it's so easy and delicious! Eventually, I want to start making my own crushed tomatoes from fresh tomatoes, but for now I use Bianco Dinapoli. I was also motivated to make this recipe because of my commitment with Greatist to #CutTheSugar this week. Many store-bought tomato sauces contain sugar, and this one is sugar-free!
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 4 ounces dried lentil penne (or penne of choice)
- 1 teaspoon and 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion
- 1 cup tightly-packed, roughly-chopped kale leaves
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 3 large basil leaves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan mozzarella (or regular, if you don't need dairy free)
1. Prepare pasta according to package. Set aside.
2. In a large pan, heat up 1 teaspoon olive oil on medium-low heat. Add garlic, onions, and kale, and sauté for 4-5 minutes until onions are translucent and kale has softened.
3. Add crushed tomatoes, along with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, basil, oregano, red chili flakes, and salt and pepper. Stir and reduce to a simmer, cooking for 1-2 minutes and stirring occasionally.
4. Mix in the penne along with the mozzarella, and turn the heat back to medium. Cook for an additional minute or so until the cheese melts. Serve warm.