Before I worked from home, I used to prepare a lunch every morning before I left to bring to work. Salads always seemed to be my go-to, but sometimes they would leave me a little hungry. That's when I began adding more carbohydrates such as potatoes, sweet potatoes, or quinoa.
One of my favorite additions to salad is crispy potatoes. If you've got a spiralizer, you can make these shoestring-fry-like potatoes in just 20 minutes, and they can make your salads a lot more exciting.
This salad is tossed in a spicy jalapeño dressing, so be prepared to take the heat. You can always cut down on the amount of jalapeño in this recipe without ruining the texture of the dressing, so adjust accordingly. I personally like my dressing hot hot hot!
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 cup spiralized white potato
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1/4 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- Dash of sea salt
Ingredients for Avocado Jalapeño Dressing
- 1/2 large ripe avocado
- 1/2 medium jalapeño (1/4 if you want it less spicy)
- Juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare potatoes first by spiralizing the potatoes with a small noodle blade. Spread on an aluminum-foil lined baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 15 minutes, or until potatoes begin to turn golden and crispy.
2. While potatoes are baking, prepare kale. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil and a dash of sea salt. Massage kale leaves between your fingers to soften the leaves. Add black beans and cherry tomatoes to the bowl.
3. Prepare dressing by adding ingredients to a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth. Toss contents of salad in the dressing until evenly coated. Top with potatoes and serve.
Don't forget to order my Spiralizer Recipe Book for 150 more spiralized recipes!