Caribbean-Inspired Plantain Breakfast
For this breakfast, make sure you choose a plantain that is nice and ripe so it can be mashed. This breakfast bowl makes a great filling for a breakfast burrito or a collard green wrap.
Ingredients (serves 1-2)
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe medium plantain
- 2 pasture-raised eggs
- 1/2 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 avocado
- Hot sauce
1. Chop up onion and garlic. Heat up olive oil in a medium pan on medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes.
2. Slice up plantain and mash with a fork. Add to pan with onion and garlic, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
3. While plantain mixture is cooking, crack eggs into a bowl and scramble with a fork until frothy. Add egg mixture to plantains along with beans. Scramble and cook until eggs are solid, about 2 minutes.
4. Add mixture to a bowl and top with sliced avocado. Finish off with hot sauce and serve warm.