Cooking your pasta with tomato sauce can get boring, so why not make a sauce that not only is tasty and different, but is loaded with nutrients? This vegan sweet potato sauce is the perfect balance of sweet and savory, and with all its fiber content, it will definitely keep you filled up.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice fusilli
- 4 small cloves of garlic or 2 large cloves
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2-3 basil leaves, folded in half and thinly sliced
1. Bring two medium pots of water to a boil. Once they are boiling, add the sweet potato to one, and the pasta to another.
2. For the pasta, cook according to package. For the sweet potato, cook for about 20-30 minutes or until soft.
3. Chop up garlic. In the pot that you made the pasta, add olive oil on medium-low heat. Add garlic, and cook for about 1 minute, stirring so the garlic doesn't burn. Add coconut milk, and turn heat up to a medium. Bring to a simmer.
4. Remove sweet potato from the water and take off the peel. Mash sweet potato with a fork, and add to the coconut milk, mixing thoroughly. Heat for a minute or so, and top off with a dash of salt and pepper. Transfer to a bowl, and sprinkle on basil. Serve warm.