Kale Salad with Miso Ginger Tofu
This kale salad is Asian-inspired, and it's loaded with protein thanks to the egg and the tofu. I cooked the tofu in a miso mixture that I keep on hand in the fridge for flavor. You can find the recipe from Heidi Swanson in the list below, but you can also make a quick version of your own like I did using by just throwing in miso paste, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, and curry powder and cooking your tofu in that. Get creative! You don't have to follow this recipe exactly, but it can give you inspiration for a salad with similar flavors.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1 pasture-raised egg
- 1 1/2 cups roughly chopped kale leaves (stems removed)
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1 small/medium radish, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk green onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon assorted micro greens
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds
Ingredients for Tofu
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3/4 tablespoon miso tare (I made a big batch using Heidi Swanson's recipe, but I just used the miso, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, and curry powder)
- 4 ounces organic firm sprouted tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes
Ingredients for Lemon Dressing
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Dash of pepper
1. Add egg to a small pot and cover with water. Heat until water is boiling, and then turn off the heat, but keep the egg in the pot. Let the egg sit in the hot water for 6 minutes. Remove egg from pot and place into a bowl of cold ice water. This will yield a soft-boiled egg. Set aside.
2. Add kale to a bowl. Add a drizzle of olive oil and sea salt, and massage with your fingers to soften the kale. Set aside.
3. Prepare tofu by heating up sesame oil in a medium pan on medium heat. Add miso tare, and stir around into the sesame oil. Add tofu to the pan, and stir to coat the tofu in the miso tare and oil. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until tofu is browned. Be sure to let the tofu sit for a couple minutes on each side to get crisp. When tofu is ready, remove from heat and set aside to let cool for a minute.
4. Add tofu to the kale, along with avocado, radish, and green onion. Peel the egg and slice it in half. Add it to the bowl. Top with micro greens and hemp seeds.
5. Mix together dressing ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle dressing over salad and serve.