Vegan Pumpkin Mac & Cheese
You asked, I listened! I'm bringing you some more comfort food, and I am super excited with how this first recipe turned out. It's very similar to my Vegan Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese with kale, except this time I used pumpkin just in time for the holiday season. Honestly, who needs Kraft when you can make a satisfying dish in just the same amount of time?
My one tip: If you're a fan of adding a little spice, mix in some buffalo sauce in here. It's really top notch.
Ingredients (serves 2-3)
- 8 oz dried pasta shells (I used Banza chickpea pasta)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon full fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- Breadcrumbs, for garnish
1. Prepare pasta according to package.
2. While pasta is cooking, blend together pumpkin puree, garlic, nutritional yeast, coconut milk, olive oil, broth, salt, and pepper and until smooth.
3. When pasta is ready, drain. Add sauce to the pot on low heat and warm, stirring frequently. After a minute or so, mix in pasta.
4. Top with parsley and breadcrumbs if desired. Serve warm.