Pumpkin Ravioli with Kale Almond Pesto
*** If you want more plant-based recipes like this, click here to order "Plant Protein Recipes That You'll Love!" You'll get over 150 vegan and vegetarian recipes, all made with plant-based proteins! ***
I wish I could make fresh pasta myself, but I haven't quite ventured into that territory yet (although I'm sure one day I will). For now, you can use fresh lasagna sheets to make your own ravioli at home! I get mine at Whole Foods in the refrigerated pasta section. NOTE: I did try using wonton wrappers, and they ended up clumping together!! Let me know if you have better luck with them.
Ingredients (serves 2; makes 8 ravioli)
Ingredients for Ravioli
- 4 fresh lasagna sheets
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese (almond milk or regular)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
Ingredients for Kale Almond Pesto
- 2 tablespoons sliced raw almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup kale leaves
- 5 large basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 medium lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. In a medium bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, ricotta, garlic powder, nutmeg, red chili flakes, sea salt, and pepper.
2. Take apart each lasagna sheet and run it under hot water for about 5 seconds on each side to soften. Lay on a flour-lined cutting board, and cut each sheet in half lengthwise using a pizza cutter.
3. Lay each half down vertically. Take about 1 tablespoon of filling and put it in the center of each lasagna sheet, slightly towards the front. Fold over the lasagna sheet toward you, and press down the sides with a fork to seal filling inside. Feel free to use the pizza cutter to cut off extra dough. The ravioli should be pretty large.
4. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add ravioli and cook about 3 minutes until ravioli rise to the top. Drain and add to a bowl.
5. To make pesto, blend ingredients together in a food blender or processor until smooth. Top ravioli with pesto, and serve warm.