Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes With Maple Cinnamon Frosting
Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon seas salt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup unsulphured molasses (not blackstrap)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
Maple Cinnamon Frosting
- 1 ½ cups soaked raw cashews
- ½ cup coconut cream
- ¼ cup melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake sheets, and spray with cooking spray.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Then combine wet ingredients together in a medium sized bowl. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix together until smooth.
5. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin, filling to the top. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the certain of the cupcakes comes out clean.
6. To make frosting, soak cashews in boiling water for 1 hour (or soak overnight). Blend ingredients together in a food processor or blender until smooth. This might take a few times of blending for 30 seconds to a minute.
7. Transfer to a bowl, and put into the freezer for 30 minutes. Remove from the freezer and whisk. Spread onto the cupcakes, and top with cinnamon, if desired.