Have you guys ever tried savory oatmeal? I don't like to eat sweet food in the morning, but I like to still get in my fill of oatmeal to get all its heart-healthy benefits by eating it as a savory dish instead. I paired up with Quaker Oats to bring you this recipe.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- 1/3 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for egg
- 1/2 cup Quaker 1-minute oatmeal
- 1 pasture-raised egg
- 1/4 avocado, sliced
Ingredients for Spinach Walnut Pesto
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon walnuts
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Spread cherry tomatoes on an aluminum-foil lined baking sheet, and drizzle with olive oil. Bake at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes.
2. Prepare pesto by blending ingredients together. Pesto should be smooth, with some texture.
3. Prepare oatmeal according to package. Transfer to a medium bowl.
4. In a small pan, heat up a little bit of olive oil on medium heat. Add egg, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until whites are cooked through and edges are crispy, but yolk is still runny.
5. Add cherry tomatoes, egg, avocado, and pesto to bowl with oatmeal and serve warm.